When walking into our store wanting to purchase new dinnerware, our staff will walk and talk you through everything like they are purchasing it for themselves.
It’s a narrowing down process that here at Sir John’s we love! The questions begin:
- Do you entertain a lot?
- How many people at home or in the office?
- Are you wanting spare in the cupboard so you don’t have to wash up after every use, so you can leave them in the dishwasher until the dishwasher is full.
- How many plates are you wanting? 4, 6, 12, 24?
- Are you wanting white or something colourful? Keep in mind, white is something you can add to, replace easily and matches to any colour or theme you are wanting to create at any time.
- If it’s white, would you prefer Bone China or Ceramic?
- Bone China – is made of porcelain and bone ash and the firing temperature at the manufacturing process is lower. Bone china is usually thinner, whiter, lighter and the glaze is smoother than ceramic. The bone ash adds translucency to the body of the dinnerware and if you hold it up to the light you can see your fingers moving behind the plate. It is also stronger than ceramic and normally costs more. Its look and quality is suitable for elegant and modern dining.
- Ceramic – is a chemical composition made from a combination of clay, kaolin, feldspar and quartz. Mixed together, the product is then shaped and moulded into the desired items and placed through a series of firings at extremely high temperatures and for long periods of time. Its look and quality is suitable for everyday use.
- Once we have worked out all the above, we determine which style you like by checking if you prefer plates with or without a rim?
- At Sir John’s Gifts, we also carry all our dinnerware loose so you can purchase a couple of pieces if it’s just you at home, or if you’re replacing pieces for a range you already have at home. However, the best and cheapest way to purchase dinnerware is in a set. You normally save about 35% off RRP and you get everything you need in one shot.
- With all the information above, we can always find your desired dinnerware set for the best possible price at Sir John’s Gifts.